If you missed today’s workshop on Parliamentary Procedure, you missed a treat!! When we think of Robert’s Rules of order, we think of very formal and strict rules for running a meeting. [Yawn!] Tamesia Garner’s presentation couldn’t have been more different. She very clearly focused on the heart of the matter that most people can appreciate.
We received a great handout on constructing a successful meeting agenda entitled, “The Agenda: Don’t Leave Home without It” and detailing a number of different segments that can help a group make the most of their time.
Her second handout — entitled “Getting the Train on the Tracks” — discussed how motions are handled, using a train as a metaphor:
- Getting the train on the tracks; a motion is made.
- Can the train go anywhere at this point? The motion is seconded (or not, in which case the train is derailed).
- Once we are chugging along, what happens next to get us on our journey? The motion is restated and possibly voted upon (at the “Voting Station,” naturally).
Tammy has a humorous and down-to-earth style that you can’t help but appreciate. At the same time, she is inclusive, sagacious, and a great teacher, ensuring that she thoroughly and completely answered every question asked by the audience members.
Thank you to our members who filled roles today:
- Sally, Toastmaster
- Doug, Grammarian (word of the day: sagacious)
- Loni, Timer for a complex speech
Also to volunteers, Usamah and Paulette!
And thanks to Loni for the yummy refreshments!